2010-10-13

Pink/ Breast cancer awareness - Family favorite/Beetroot kurma

There are quite many to say in this post, but will try keep it crisp. Since October being "breast cancer awareness" month, thought will give you primitive detail about abnormal cells, from which tumors are formed. Every living being is composed of  cells and continuous controlled cell division takes place. Due to DNA mutation in the cells, abnormal rate of division of cells happens, resulting in collection of cells called tumor. There two type of tumor  benign and malignant tumor. Malignant tumor is the evil guy. The same thing happens in breast, during initial stage and secondary stages they are either treated or removed. At third stage tumor spread to greater extent and results can be fatal. I found two educative slideshow and video, check when time permits. We are precious ladies and we have to treat ourself best in order to serve others good. To keep away from carcinogenic diseases, stay healthy, stress free, no to smoking and most important of all  microwave bowls are something which has to be changed now and then, it is not for long term use, they turn into carcinogenic materials after certain time period. Microwave irradiation break the bonds in the polymer changing their original property. Am not a bio student, if you find any of the details wrong, pardon me, correct me, trash me or just chuck it out :)

Now to beetroot kurma, am not a big fan of beetroot but I adore this kurma, this is our family favorite, most important of all my dad's. Usually in this kurma, beetroot to potato ratio is about 3:1, every one in the family will look for those little potato, my dad insists mum to add more of it, but mum says that potato's are added to obtain the right consistency if added more it becomes potato kurma. Oh well..anyways we love..hope you will like it too :)

Thanks guys for the pouring response you all had given for my mango delight, I was overwhelmed and for some comments felt dramatic in positive sense :) For all my dear friends who had been waiting for veg recipe again here it is, Divya this is exclusively for you! 

Finally, to stay fit and fine, we got to be happy, keep smiling, worries and pressure will come and go take it easy, after all we have to live the best life out of better possibilities. For all the suffering patience prayers for hope courage, strength and will power. Amen!  
                                                                              
                                                                                   Stay Pink!


                                                  
                                                                      I was amazed by the gorgeous texture







On lighter note if you are wondering about the leaves popping out of my beetroot's? didn't care them for bit long time that it started to grow, leaving no option left for me to use them right away...Ahem :P

Ingredients
3 medium size beetroot, diced
1 medium size potato diced
2 to 3tbsp of oil
3 medium size onions (finely chopped)
3 green chilly - slit (according to taste)
3 x 1.5 inch cinnamon 
6-8 cloves
3/4 tsp chilly powder
Pinch of  turmeric
1/2 tsp of ginger garlic paste
100 ml coconut milk ( i used tinned coconut milk)
Salt to taste
Finely chopped fresh mint and coriander (2 -3 tbsp of each) 
1tbsp of fresh lemon juice

Pressure cook diced beetroot and potato. In heavy bottom pan, warm oil, throw in cinnamon clove let them splutter, add green chillies, stay away, they will super react. After 30 to 40 sec quickly add finely chopped onions. Sauté till they are transparent and start to turn pale brown, add ginger garlic paste, fry for 40 to 50 sec till raw flavor vanishes. Then add cooked beetroot, fry for two mins, add chilly powder, turmeric, coconut milk,cooked potato and salt to taste. Bring it boil to required consistence. Garnish with chopped coriander , mint and one tbsp of lemon juice. Goes exclusively well with rice fine even with roties. 

61 comments:

Suji October 13, 2010 at 11:09 PM  

Never tried a beetroot kuruma...Lovely pink color...

Anonymous October 13, 2010 at 11:29 PM  

Lovely pink color of the dish...never heard of kurma with beets and this being a family favorite, sure deserves a try.gorgeous clicks as always!!

Satya October 13, 2010 at 11:49 PM  

wow what a gorgeous pink ...making kurma with beets really a superb n healthy idea...thanks for sharing Ananda

Satya
http://www.superyummyrecipes.com

My Kitchen Antics October 13, 2010 at 11:53 PM  

im no fan of beetroot either but im now thinking twice about because adding it in a korma might make me like it :)
lovely pics of the sliced beets

Menaga Sathia October 14, 2010 at 12:06 AM  

lovely colour!!

Umm Mymoonah October 14, 2010 at 12:08 AM  

That's a very good post about breast cancer awarness. I just love the pictures of the fresh beetroot and adding it in kurma enhances it's taste.

Prema October 14, 2010 at 1:38 AM  

om i cannt take out my eye from the pics,really delicious kurma...wounderful clicks.

Nitha October 14, 2010 at 4:54 AM  

I too have never tried korma with beet.. But I am always a fan of that pink colour..

Pushpa October 14, 2010 at 5:13 AM  

We love beetroot kurma,we enjoy having it with chapati...Yummy!

Pushpa @ simplehomefood.com

Madhuri Krishna Bhat October 14, 2010 at 7:39 AM  

Ananda, kurma makes me drool!!!
I love beets...
It's nice to see ppl getting awareness abt the Breast cancer.

Nandinis food October 14, 2010 at 7:49 AM  

The kurma is very exquisite and the colour is rich and unique!

Daisy Roshan October 14, 2010 at 8:04 AM  

beetroot kurma is a new concept...looks yummy....nice photographs.....

Fathima October 14, 2010 at 9:22 AM  

Kurma w/ beetroot is new to me.... what an awesome presentation! Hats off!

Prathima Rao October 14, 2010 at 11:26 AM  

OMG...just love the color..we all love beetroots at home but i never find any recipes for curry...Mom will be damn happy when i give her the recipe..Thx a ton for sharing!!

Priya Suresh October 14, 2010 at 11:54 AM  

Omg, cant take my eyes from the click, wat a catchy kurma..yum!

GeCe October 14, 2010 at 12:00 PM  

I want to emphasize that if someone suffers from the breast cancer, she must be sure it is not the end. There are lots of healing solutions and she have to keep her sensual stuation higher and be positive.

Concerning the recipe..

It seems amazing, I like beetroots but never tried via your recipe.

MaryMoh October 14, 2010 at 12:13 PM  

Beautiful post and beautiful recipe...love it. This dish looks so vibrant, healthy and delicious. I need to go and get some beet root to cook this. Thanks very much for sharing. Yes, keep smiling! :D

Daisy Roshan October 14, 2010 at 12:55 PM  

hi ananda..

pls check out my blog for a surprise....

cheers

roshan

Sarah Naveen October 14, 2010 at 5:24 PM  

Beautiful clicks..yummy kuruma!!

Treat and Trick October 14, 2010 at 5:48 PM  

Love this striking color and most importantly the dish, looks special and yum...

Priya October 14, 2010 at 5:51 PM  

Awesome......

Jayanthy Kumaran October 14, 2010 at 6:54 PM  

wow...looks absolutely mouthwatering...d color rocks dear...excellent and very professional clicks...

Tasty Appetite

Namitha October 14, 2010 at 7:15 PM  

I love beetroot,you know why? ...for it's color mainly :D

Rachana October 14, 2010 at 7:43 PM  

Awesome clicks and the kurma looks so mouthwatering... Yumm.

Suja Manoj October 14, 2010 at 8:49 PM  

Sounds a wonderful recipe..looks so rich and yummy,awesome clicks

Binys Recipes October 14, 2010 at 9:20 PM  

I admire ur method of creating awareness.Food is everyones need and sam is health..the pics are awesome...i loved to watch it..beetroot korma is new to me...but looks a winner

Aparna S Mallya October 14, 2010 at 10:57 PM  

Innovative!

And nice post on breast cancer awareness.

Foodie Ann October 15, 2010 at 12:01 AM  

Those beetroot looks gorgeous ....Very beautiful blog.....:)...Keep rocking...
Cheers Ann.

Unknown October 15, 2010 at 12:29 AM  

nice recipe..so colorful and delicious.. I love your last click.. very inviting!! Thx for stopping by kothiyavunu and lending me to ur lovely space..:)

NIDHYA October 15, 2010 at 1:11 AM  

Love the kurma color. I am not a big fan of beetroot either, but recipe sounds interesting. Will give a try sometime.

Aaha Oho

Sarah-Jane - SiliconeMoulds.com October 15, 2010 at 1:18 PM  

wow - looks awesome. I love the rich, deep reds of beetroot and am always amazed when I plant the seed that they grow into beets of such vibrant colours.

I've been using loads of beetroot recently as still have some of this years crop growing.

I think I might go get some nice fresh chillies and coconut milk and have a go x

Joyti October 15, 2010 at 10:46 PM  

Wow, thats a beautiful, deep color!

Reeni October 16, 2010 at 3:25 AM  

That is so lovely! And so delicious! Thank you for blogging about such a good cause.

Cheah October 16, 2010 at 11:40 AM  

Wow, such vibrant colours. I'm not a fan of beetroot but making it into kurma is something interesting!

aipi October 16, 2010 at 10:03 PM  

Can’t get over the color..really wonderful!!

US Masala

Ms.Chitchat October 17, 2010 at 7:14 AM  

Informative write-up. Enjoyed browsing thro' ur space. Glad to follow u:)

Chitchat

Pappu October 17, 2010 at 4:07 PM  

First time to your blog n it's awesome. nice innovative recipes with beautiful photographs. do stop by my blog when u get time. cheers:)

Jamie October 17, 2010 at 5:03 PM  

I will be posting a Pink Post shortly but nothing as gorgeous as your photos! Stunning! And although I'm not a huge beet fan this recipe is certainly intriguing and very pretty.

Angie's Recipes October 17, 2010 at 6:00 PM  

This beetroot soup looks divine! I simply love the colour.

Ushnish Ghosh October 17, 2010 at 6:42 PM  

Dear Ananda
Greetings to you on Dushera and Durga Puja. I was bit tied up so cd not see your postings.
My wife ( a Gyno-Obs) sends a special thanks to you for this article on cancer...it is a great awareness program you are doing !!.
I like this recipe. I am not very fond of beet roots , but will try when the vege comes to the market. I must say , you have awesome photography skills , very nice ...
I feel good reading your comments on my blog. Please try the recipe!!
Have a nice week ahead

Torviewtoronto October 17, 2010 at 7:21 PM  

first time here
delicious addition of potatoes
check out the event in my site

Sreelekha Sumesh October 18, 2010 at 9:22 AM  

Nice post!Kurma looks so beautiful.Perfect color.

Finla October 18, 2010 at 11:22 AM  

Wowo beautiful color i can imagien the rice going pink in your plate. Drool.

Sushma Mallya October 18, 2010 at 6:33 PM  

So beautiful your kurma is...i just loved the colour...and your clicks are superb...

Nic October 19, 2010 at 12:30 AM  

I cannot stand beetroot, but the kurma looks absolutely amazing! What a great post to raise awareness.

Choclette October 19, 2010 at 8:27 PM  

I love beetroot, but CT hates it. Think I might try him on this one though, it sounds delicious. I did make beetroot and sweet potato subzi once, but it was part of a feast with friends around, so never got to the bottom of what he thought of the dish or even if he tried it.

swapna October 19, 2010 at 11:28 PM  

Loved the beautiful beetroot kurma...its so vibrant and colorful!! awesome pics..thanks for visiting me...

Jayanthy Kumaran October 20, 2010 at 12:05 AM  

Hy dear,

An award is waiting for you at my blog...plz stop by to collect your award..

Tasty Appetite

Devaki October 20, 2010 at 4:26 AM  

Absolutely Gorgeous! You are a whiz with the camera too :)

Ciao, Devaki @ weavethousandflavors

Tahemeem October 20, 2010 at 8:40 AM  

wow.. looks gorgeous... will sure try it... not a big fan of beetroot though!!!

Suparna October 20, 2010 at 5:38 PM  

You have a lovely blog here...very beautiful photos indeed!

Best,
Suparna

Rekha shoban October 21, 2010 at 12:08 PM  

hi ananda, first time to ur blog....blog looks superb dear and pictures too...and the kurma looks very intersting and healthy....im glad to follow u dear!

C&G October 24, 2010 at 5:31 PM  

Wonderful post... and wonderful colorful recipe. talk to you soon, Giorgia

Unknown October 24, 2010 at 6:32 PM  

Thank you for all your pink comments, hope the pink creates the magic! :)

Anonymous November 30, 2010 at 9:18 PM  

I be enduring read a only one of the articles on your website at this very moment, and I extremely like your fashionableness of blogging. I added it to my favorites entanglement age file and resolve be checking promote soon. Please contain in view my put as well and leave to me conscious what you think. Thanks.

Anonymous December 15, 2010 at 10:02 AM  

I hadn't noticed anandasagari.blogspot.com before in my searches!
Why didnt I think about this? I hear exactly what youre saying and Im so happy that I came across your blog. You really know what youre talking about, and you made me feel like I should learn more about this. Thanks for this; Im officially a huge fan of your blog.

Anonymous February 9, 2011 at 10:43 PM  

I will add this blog to my favorites, it is great.

Unknown February 10, 2011 at 8:55 AM  

all Anonymous your words means a lot me, thanks for it...will try my best to keep you all visually treated :)

Juliane April 4, 2011 at 12:48 AM  

so pretty!

Dhivya February 24, 2012 at 5:34 PM  

I tried ur beetroot kuruma...It goes well with Chappathi and Dosa...Yummy.Thanks for the receipe..Now,i'm going to try Radish subji...

Unknown February 26, 2012 at 11:34 AM  

Thank you so much for trying Divya, it's such a pleasure to know you like it, hope it will be the same for radish subji aswell :)

 
designed by GeCe for special use by A Pinch of Love